Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Taste-less Plainfield




Maybe you can call it a case of mission overcreep.

Taking advantage of Maria Pellum's listing of the expanded Plainfield 'National Night Out' events, I dropped by the train station last evening for what was billed as 'A Taste of Plainfield', scheduled for 4 - 8 PM per the events list.

I arrived about 6:20. No one in sight. The station was vacant and locked. No notice posted anywhere about what had happened -- or not happened -- to the event.

In the last few years, Plainfield's celebration of this one-night national event -- which we've been doing for about 20 years -- has grown and grown to the point where it hardly resembles its national cousin. Perhaps overgrown?

Returned home to a crab roll, to blog and so to bed.




See the complete listing of 'National Night Out' activities at Maria Pellum's Crescent Times.

-- Dan Damon

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

ARCHIVED POSTS OF PLAINFIELD TODAY FROM 11/03/2005 THROUGH 12/31/2006 ARE AT
http://plainfieldtoday.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm disappointed to hear this. I was not even aware that this event was scheduled. I attended this event once in the past (the only time I was aware it took place).

I think there needs to be more effective ways of communicating to the public local events. Possibly a weekly email list that people can sign up for on the Plainfield Web site and event sponsers can publish there events.

Ryan S

Anonymous said...

Who in the city is responsible for putting out a calendar of events that doesn't happen? This is a city sponsored event. I am sure a lot of people showed up to enjoy the taste but got nothing and left. This is what happens when a bunch of incompetents are running the city. I wonder who was in charge of getting this off the ground. I hope they lose their job.