Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Monday, March 31, 2008

Dottie, Dan and Hillary



Longtime Plainfield activist Dottie Gutenkauf and I have had a sidebar conversation over the past couple of days about Hillary Clinton's campaign and the calls for her to step down. I say 'sidebar' because of its unusual location -- on the CLIPS blog (you can read the full exchange here; scroll toward the bottom of the page).

Dottie chided me about saying I was 'with Clinton thru PA' -- pointing out that I am not a Clinton backer.

What I meant was being 'with' Hillary continuing to campaign thru Pennsylvania. (I actually hadn't picked sides until January 26, when Bill played the race card against Obama -- thereby costing Hillary the African American support the Clintons had cultivated for twenty years. That was it for me.)

As for the margin of win Hillary would need, I was picking up on her team's estimates from wayback, when they thought Obama had a snowball's chance in hell in
Pennsylvania.

I must admit I am fatigued by Hill's tactic of letting Bill be the knee-in-the-crotch fighter while she takes the line that it's 'big guys picking on a girl'. (Hillary can take care of herself, don't you worry.)

But, after listening to John Kerry on the Sunday talk shows, saying everyone should let the primaries play out -- with the caveat that Clinton and Obama should conduct their campaign by contrasting themselves with McCain, who is the REAL opponent -- I've come around.

Let the primaries roll. Let the candidates take the high road. Let the voters' voices be heard. Let the Democratic Party's rules be adhered to.



Meanwhile, in a Page One story, the Wall Street Journal reports today that Obama is picking up yet more support -- see here.


-- Dan Damon

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

0 comments: