Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Your view of Obama's Inauguration




The Lincoln Bible Obama will use at today's swearing-in.

Please view today's post as an opportunity to share your thoughts about the significance of this moment of hope and opportunity as Barack Obama becomes the 44th President of the United States.

Your comments will appear below, in the order in which they are posted by you...


Councilor Burney Sends a Photo from the Inauguration...



from his iPhone at 11:30 AM...



(The entry below is from Steve Caputo, a Plainfield attorney whom I have known for many years. He and his daughter Libby were at the Inauguration and this is his report, with some pix. I have put links to the writers and poets he mentions for those who work with young people, as resources. -- Dan)

Here are some of my favorite photos. My daughter Ibby is photographed with her mentor, A. J. Verdelle, author of The Good Negress. We sat with A.J. and her friend, acclaimed poet Nikki Finney, one of the founders of the Affrilachian Poets. Nikki's dad was the first African American Supreme Court justice in South Carolina since Reconstruction and his endorsement for Obama was quite important. We bumped into Cornel West, formerly of Princeton and now at Harvard. He was in the most jovial mood, posing for pictures with children, celebrating with a gleefulness that I have never witnessed. Some people summoned memories of "black power" and "power to the people." Others, like Nikki, wept as they played back in their minds the struggles that their own family members had overcome over the past 45 years. My daughter Ibby cried tears of joy over being alive to witness one of the most important moments in history, having survived Leukemia and the 14 months recovering from a stem cell transplant, now strong enough to celebrate this moment.



Cornel West with kids.


Libby with A.J.



'Power to the people'!


I looked around and noted the fact that the crowd I was in looked very much like Plainfield. Young, old, black, white, Asian, Muslim, Jew, Christian. The diversity that now makes up the people's army that supports Barack Obama is a reflection of the microcosm that we have had in Plainfield for the 27 years that I have been in town. I have great hope for this country under Pres. Obama and pray that we in Plainfield can embrace the "Yes We Can" attitude in our local community. I feel fortunate to have witnessed history (and to have done it from a seat rather than having to stand with the 1.8 million people in the Washington Mall!).

Now, let the work begin in our City, in our community, and all across America.

Steve Caputo, 1:25 PM, January 21, 2009




(The entry below is from Margaret A. Lewis, a Plainfielder and retired educator. She and her niece, who is from Nashville and is associated with Meharry Medical College, left for Washington by train at the crack of dawn after attending Plainfield's pre-Inaugural pot-luck party. -- Dan)



Plainfielder Margaret A. Lewis poses with the new President in Washington.
Like 1.8 million others, she says this is as close as she was able to get (smile).

Three days before we were scheduled to leave for Washington, my niece got a call from her undergraduate roommate, a judge in Illinois who had been a very active volunteer in the campaign who informed her that she had procured tickets for us! The tears flowed.

Boarding the metro at about 5:00 A. M. on Tuesday and getting to our standing area with our silver tickets in hand, the tears flowed. We were next to the “handicapped” area and as I looked around to view some of the faces so full of happiness and excitement, this crush of humanity, where everyday day life for them is far more of a challenge than my life is, the tears flowed.

A barrier where we were standing was knocked down and as people pushed forward, I ended right at the edge of the Reflection Pool with a clear view of a Jumbotron, tears flowed. Engulfed by people who shared their hand and foot warmers, who spontaneously led chants and exercise warming routines, the tears flowed.

I was back to another time, as I thought about my participation in The March On Washington and my involvement in preparing the students who integrated Central High School and the “connectiveness” of these and so many other events of my life, the tears flowed.

During the ceremony, knowing that I represented my ancestors, my current relatives and future generations of my blood line, I cried in silence and took it all in.

Margaret A. Lewis

January 22, 2009, 8:20 AMs


-- Dan Damon

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not Vote for him. I do not think some of his programs will be good for the economy. BUT I thank God we live in a country where the people's will is adhered to, and will pray for Him.

Anonymous said...

I took this opportunity to share history with my daughter and her classmates at Cedarbrook Elementary School.

I was amazed at the fact that the children "got it". They were so enthused and without prompting at every stage of the inauguration beginning with the prayer, the swearing in of both the VP and President and ending with the President's address. Their gittyness was contagious!

I marvel at the genius of our children. We so UNDERESTIMATE them and what all they KNOW and are capable of learning.

My hope is that this day renews a purpose in us all to TEACH OUR CHILDREN WELL...LEARN FROM THEM but most importantly NURTURE them so that they reach their FULL POTENTIAL!

On this day --I am so PROUD to be of the HUMAN KIND!

Anonymous said...

What a great speech!

Dan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan said...

Plainfield residents Dr. Ted Turner and his wife, Jeanne, are proud of their son-in-law Frank Amanat's friendship with Barack Obama when both were classmates at Harvard and worked on the Harvard Law Review. Frank is now an attorney with the Department of Justice and was interviewed by the Canadian news network BNN (Business News Network) on the eve of the Obama Inauguration. This link was supplied by Ted via email. Check it out!

From BNN --

BNN finds out what the President-elect was like before his race to the White House from the man who hired him to teach, Douglas Baird, professor, University of Chicago, and one man who used to call him classmate, Franklin Amanat, Department of Justice attorney and Harvard Law School graduate. Go to this website:

http://watch.bnn.ca/#clip131355

(Can be viewed in Internet Explorer only.) Ignore the deleted message above, wrong link.
--Dan

Anonymous said...

Let me start by saying that I am optimistic that the country will be better off in 4 years and that I am glad that African Americans see this as a great milestone in our history. But, from my viewpoint, he is no more African American than I am german or dutch or Irish. I can look at Pres. Obama as a white man with dark skin. If both his parents had been of African decent than he could truly be classified as African American.
Also, let us remember that 46% of the voting population did not vote for him. I pray that the country will be better off in the coming years.

Rob said...

I voted for him as I believed we needed a change. Either good or bad in the long run, a change was needed. Although I can't appreciate the entire deeper meaning regarding his heritage or ethnicity I am glad it was enough to inspire some people to take part in the voting process. I refuse to use a hyphen when asked my ethnic background and I suppose that is because I am white...I simply respond - American. Hopefully that will become true for everyone at some point in time. And most of all, I can say I hope people who are this excited now allow this man 4yrs to complete or even start the path we need to be on as a country...because if you notice..John Corzine still has us by the short hairs 4yrs later on Property Tax Reform, School Funding Reform and Ethics Reform to name a few...GOOD LUCK PRESIDENT OBAMA

Michael Townley said...

I don't have strong feelings about President Obama. I am not caught up in the euphoria of "change", and do not see him as a miracle worker who will achieve all that he has promised.
I do see him as a new leader with opportunities to move the country forward. I am pleased to see the mix of races and backgrounds that he has selected to help him in his cabinet, and believe that he will have more successes than setbacks because of these inclusions.
I have always felt that our greatest president was Abraham Lincoln, who agonized through a horrible civil war and yet took the steps necessary to ultimately eliminate slavery. I also admire President Lyndon Johnson who, in the face of strong opposition (both within and outside of his party), advanced civil rights for all people.
I offer these two presidents as examples of how our country continually evolves with the times and benefits from strong and compassionate leadership. President Obama now has an opportunity to contribute to that evolution, and I pray that he uses his opportunity and his compassion wisely.

Bill Hetfield said...

Dan,
What a day! The election of a person who has the opportunity to move this great country forward-to new heights is exhilarating. President Barrack Obama's words were of substance and inspiration. If only this national enthusiasm would spill-over or trickle-down to Plainfield. After a long cold winter, a rebirth of opportunity in Plainfield would be well received. Oh, where is that leadership?

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful that our Assemblyman, Jerry Green, was able to singlehandedly deliver the votes that put Obama over the top.

John O'Malley said...

Dan,
We are very fortunate to have lived long enough to see this day! It is incredible to watch our country, and the whole world, celebrate such an awesome event.
Jack

Anonymous said...

this is for anonymous who left a comment at 5.17 am.how can you say,he is a white man with dark skin? my husband is african american,and i am white-my adult children consider themself black.what is your point? i think you are just unhappy,that obama won.

Dan said...

Reader Tracy Coooper has shared this link from Boston.com to some fabulous photos. Don't miss the satellite photo!

(Note: Copy the entire address into your browser, making sure there are no blank spaces.)

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/01/the_inauguration_of_president.html

Thanks, Tracy!