Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dan shamelessly rips off two ideas




The logo for Times Square Alliance's
'Good Riddance Day'.



Plainfield Today readers know that I am constantly drawing inspiration from the news for ideas pertinent to Plainfield -- whether something our leaders should be doing to better our community, or ideas that could possibly be of benefit if looked into.

Today, I am shamelessly ripping off two such ideas: 'Good Riddance Day' borrowed from the organization that promotes New Year's Eve in Times Square (see here) and New Year's Resolutions FOR Plainfield, a riff on an idea I heard on WNYC.

GOOD RIDDANCE DAY
I am inviting all readers to consider something -- community, political or personal -- they will be happy to bid GOOD RIDDANCE to at the end of 2009.

The Times Square Alliance, which promotes such a day in New York City, puts up a paper shredder and a dumpster (for larger items, with a sledgehammer for breaking up objects) for folks to purge themselves of bad memories, experiences or relationIships. My thanks to the good folks at TSA, who I hope will take this imitation as the sincerest form of flattery, which it is.

Tomorrow, December 30, will be GOOD RIDDANCE DAY on Plainfield Today, and you are invited to post the 'distasteful, depressing or downright embarrassing' moments of 2009 to which you wish to say GOOD RIDDANCE. There will be a prize (see end of post).
RESOLUTIONS FOR PLAINFIELD
How about instead of making a resolution for YOURSELF for the New Year, which you know will be broken by the end of January (if not sooner), you propose a RESOLUTION FOR PLAINFIELD TO MAKE for the New Year? Something that could be done (or stop doing) that would benefit Plainfield in 2010.

Could be something for the Council to do. Or the Mayor or administration. Or the school district. Or the business community. Or some other organization that could positively impact the community.

Be creative. Be ingenious. Be outrageous. But above all, be there posting your comment on Thursday, December 30. There will be a prize for the most intriguing RESOLUTION FOR PLAINFIELD.
There will be a $10 gift certificate for Dairy Queen awarded to the most original for each day (my pick). You may make your comments anonymous or sign them, but in order to collect the DQ award, you will need to make yourself known to me somehow with a moniker of some kind. I will post the winning items on New Year's Day, after which the winner can contact me by email (I'll put a link up then).

Ready. Set. Go!


-- Dan Damon [follow]

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Riddance to Sharon's Red Blazer!!!!!!

Rob said...

OMG... I love DAIRY QUEEN...and there is soooooooo much that is simply toooo easy.. I don't even know how to describe my excitement...I am all a flutter! I feel the venom boiling over now...WOW... the joy!