Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Monday, February 22, 2010

Plainfield's NJ Monthly standing drops from 'one of top 10' to ...



Design for banner on City Hall flaunting Plainfield's selection in 2001.


How could Plainfield have dropped so far in the NJ Monthly 'Best Places to Live!' issue?

From 'one of the top 10 best places to live' in its March 2001 issue, in the March 2010 issue Plainfield fell to ... number 543 (of a total of 566 communities ranked -- see the story here).

Plainfield still 'outranks' Newark, East Orange, Atlantic City and Elizabeth.

But what happened?

Has Plainfield really become so unlivable while we evidently weren't (or were) watching?

I don't think so.




NJ Monthly's illustration for the 'Best Places' story.


Rather, it seems NJ Monthly has clambered aboard the LISTS mania bandwagon bigtime -- with all sorts of 'benchmark' criteria by which to sort New Jersey's communities.

I suspect there are two reasons at play in this development -- 1) the magazine probably got static from some communities that Plainfield 'aced out' in 2001; and 2) the magazine has realized what a powerful (almost narcotic) draw these list thingies are as far as magazine readership goes.

Given the tough times magazines -- and all print media -- are having these days, one can hardly blame them for going the 'list' route.

Does anyone buy into a community based on the list?

Does anyone move out of a community based on the list?

You would have to believe in the 'greater fool theory'.

At least NJ Monthly has not gone to a swimsuit issue.

Yet.




Plainfield and its neighbors in the rankings (click to enlarge).


-- Dan Damon [follow]

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

6 comments:

olddoc said...

That goes along with the "Best Doctor", Best Dentist" and of course if possible "Best Lawyer". Some may have a degree of legitimacy but how the criteria are determined is doubtful. Last year I reecieved an flyer in the mail that for $25.00 they would include me in their publication's list of best doctors and send me my choice of plaques. And I have not seen a patient in 20 years.

Barnum said it best.

Anonymous said...

Dan,

I read the article--how much does this part have to do with it: "Towns with lower unemployment and crime rates also scored higher, as did those close to more hospitals."

I am thinking of the connection between the Muhlenberg closing and the subsequent rise in unemployment caused by that might have had a hand as well. As far as crime, though, I would be happy if it could be cut by 6.5%.

Sobae said...

Decide for yourself if Plainfield's ranking is legitimate. Here's my ranking system. Score 1 point for each person you can identify who agrees that he/she is very satisfied with:

1 the school system
2 the level of personal safety citywide
3 the downtown shopping district
4 the condition of all of the homes on their block
5 the public recreation facilities
6 the public transportation facilities
7 the speed and thoughtfulness of development
8 the eating and entertainment districts
9 taxes and required fees
10 responsiveness of city government to taxpayers

Anonymous said...

Plainfield is not only in the top 10, in my opinion it is in the top 5. What we need is a good economic development plan to make it a desireable destination place, and people will flock.

Can't something be done about the downtown and help the merchants understand how to market their stores (appealing window displays -planters, etc)?

If we can just get our town and residents to take more pride in how we look as a city, we will be turing people away in droves.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that Plainfield made the top 10...

active citizen said...

I've lived in Plainfield for over 25 years and I think we've dropped a lot over the past 5 to 10 years. Crime is so bad, the I have curtailed my evening walks, which I've been taking since I arrived here. I live near Crescent Avenue and don't like the news about muggings, robbery and more. Downtown is so poorly lit at night, that even a walk down Watchung to Front and then back via Park doesn't seem safe. Too bad. Part of what I've loved about Plainfield is feeling safe in my neighborhood and enjoying our nice neighborhoods.

Maybe we'd be safer if the Mayor and her administration and the City Council members took a walk around town occasionally. I'd probably feel safer with a police chief, instead of a crony who is soliciting sex from young men while on duty.