Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Should Renata blog as BOE member?





Blogger and Plainfield Board of Ed member-elect Renata Hernandez announced on her blog yesterday that she would no longer be blogging and was turning the blog over to her daughter Milani Anaise (see the post here).

My first reading of the post gave me the idea that she was being pressured to give up the blog. Here is what she said --
...to avoid even the slightest hint of impropriety I think it prudent that I give up the keyboard during my term on the Board of Education. I'll have to look for opportunities to write on behalf of the Board because when you love to write you can't just NOT write!
I posted the following comment as soon as I read the post --
Renata -- If someone 'leaned on you' not to continue blogging, shame on them!

No elected official needs to give up the right to express themselves on matters of importance to the community -- witness the fact the four of our City Council members blog on matters of public policy of concern to residents.

Of course there are topics that are off-limits (stuff discussed in executive session), but every issue that comes before a public body on which an elected official will participate in discussing and acting on is fair game for blogging, too.

I see no reason for you to give up blogging; Plainfield will be the worse off if you do.
(April 28, 2010 9:27 AM)
But Renata set me straight --
Hey Dan -- I don't exactly allow folks to "lean on me" at all. It was a matter of wise council.

I will continue to write because I think the public needs to stay informed but it will take on a more "formal" approach as oppose to a "my view" in totality.

Stay tuned...
(April 28, 2010 11:56 AM)

So, it looks like we will be able to catch Renata on Board of Ed -- and Plainfield -- matters after all, just not on a regular basis.

Good.


-- Dan Damon [follow]

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

0 comments: