Delivered to 15,000 Plainfield "doorsteps" Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday

Friday, October 11, 2013

Plainfield Today hacked ... again, again!


Again? Again!
 
On Wednesday, while I was at a regular appointment with the Peg-Leg People at JFK, I began getting text messages from Plainfield Today readers that the blog 'had been removed'.

Hacked! ... again, again! Dammit!

This is the third time since May that my account has been cracked and visitors greeted with the news that the blog has been 'removed'. I blogged about that encounter here.

I had previously upgraded my password to a very strong form (more than 12 characters), and never access my Google accounts from any other computer -- so, I was safe right?

Not.

This time, I did a little more research and found that Google has taken two steps to help bloggers with this recurring problem.

One is to institute a two-step login process (which they began offering in beta in 2011; more info is available here). The second is a free archive creation for Google's Blogspot blogs, which will create a downloadable ZIP file and notify you when it is ready (read more here).

These are reassuring moves, but it never ceases to amaze me that Google doesn't aggressively push this information at the folks who would find it most useful, taking a low-keyed approach of making the information readily available -- providing you think to ask for it.

-- Dan Damon [follow]

View today's CLIPS here. Not getting your own CLIPS email daily? Click here to subscribe.

0 comments: